Graham Buckton BPharm, AKC, PhD, DSc, FRSC, FRPharmS, FAPS
Emeritus Professor of Pharmaceutics, UCL School of Pharmacy, University of London and CEO Buckton Consulting
Graham Buckton graduated with a BPharm degree from Chelsea College London in 1981. He obtained his PhD from King’s College London in 1985 and was awarded the degree of Doctor of Science by the University of London in 1997, for “Materials characterisation of importance to drug delivery”. In 2012 he passed the IoD Certificate in Company Direction.
Professor Buckton is a fellow of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society, Royal Society of Chemistry, AAPS and APSGB, he is a Freeman of the City of London. He joined the staff of King’s College London as lecturer in pharmacy in 1984. In 1989 he moved to the School of Pharmacy, University of London where he progressed through the positions of Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, Reader and Professor and was the Head of Department and Professor of Pharmaceutics. Until Sept 2012 he was Chief Executive Officer of Pharmaterials Ltd which is the contract research company that he founded in 2000.
He retains a research group at the UCL School of Pharmacy, University of London. The research relates to the amorphous state, powder processing, surface science, solid oral dosage forms, inhalation drug delivery and modified release dosage forms. He has published a book and over 175 papers on these themes. He has received the Pfizer Award, the British Pharmaceutical Conference Science Medal and the Stig Sunner Award (for “outstanding work in Thermochemistry and Thermal Analysis” from the US Calorimetry Conference). He
• Has served a 10 year term as Editor of the International Journal of Pharmaceutics and has recently served, on the editorial boards of Pharmaceutical Research, The AAPS Journal and the steering committee for the Excipients Handbook.
• Was the first Chairman of the Academy of Pharmaceutical Sciences of GB and a past Chairman of the Pharmaceutical Sciences Group of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain,
• Was past Chairman of the Chemistry, Pharmacy and Standards sub-committee of the Committee on Safety of Medicines and a member of the CSM, is a member of the CPS TAG of the Commission on Human Medicines.
• Was Science Chairman of the British Pharmaceutical Conference 2003.
• Was a British Pharmacopoeia Commissioner and contributes to Ph Eur, USP and EMEA working parties.